This post is copied from our older, original blog. Original post date 05/16/2013.
By Marcie Bower, Lic.Ac.
Acupuncture can be a great therapy for numerous women’s health issues. Below are the most common women’s health conditions that we treat with acupuncture and herbal medicine in our clinic – although there are, of course, many more conditions for which acupuncture can be a useful modality.
Problems with periods:
- Painful periods – endometriosis, cramping, or low back pain with periods
- Irregular menstrual cycles – absence of periods, short cycles, long cycles, or irregular menstrual cycles
- Heavy bleeding with periods or spotting between periods
- PMS symptoms – bloating, breast tenderness, digestive upset, irritability, heightened emotions, cramping, acne, etc.
Problems with external genitals:
- Genital warts, genital herpes, genital sores
- Vulvodynia or other pain of the vulva
- Trouble getting pregnant and still trying to conceive naturally
- Trouble getting pregnant and going through Western fertility treatments such as Clomid, IUI, and IVF
- Morning sickness
- Fatigue during pregnancy
- Sinus issues, allergies, colds, headaches, or migraines during pregnancy, when avoiding medication
- Breeched presentation
- Delayed labor
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Adrenal fatigue
- Hotflashes and nightsweats
- Vaginal dryness
- Fuzzy-headedness, memory loss, anxiety
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine work at restoring balance to the body’s systems to approach any of these problems from a holistic perspective. Your acupuncturist will work with you to determine the best possible course of treatment for your unique health presentation.